clown678042_960_720

Scary clowns have been reported across the country. | Courtesy of Pixaby

The PPD and the School District of Philadelphia released a joint statement informing the city’s residents that they’ve opened an active investigation into a series of “scary clown threats.”

This is not a snippet from the script of Killer Klowns from Outer Space, but an article published by PhillyMag on Oct. 3. Investigations by the Philadelphia Police Department and School District of Philadelphia come following an increase in "scary clown sightings" across the country, with a recent series of social media threats targeting the Philadelphia area. 

The threats, originating from Twitter and Instagram accounts featuring "clown" in their handles, have alleged that clowns closing in on specific Philadelphia locations will perform a number of vicious acts; including kidnapping, arson and murder. 

It's time to kill

A photo posted by Philly Clown..215 (@philly_clown.215) on

It's time to kill

The official police statement assures that “the safety of our children and the communities surrounding our schools is a top priority for us and we are taking this matter seriously." There has already been at least two cases of formal charges for scary clown threats in the area, according to an article by the Philly Voice. CBS news reported that clown-related events have taken place on college campuses including Penn State, but added that police "don't see any real threat" and hope people "don't believe the hype" around clown posts and sightings.

While the threats were ruled to be pranks with no intent to follow up, police are remaining vigilant and encourage anyone with information to contact the Philadelphia Police Department at 215-686-TIPS (8477).