flag

College junior Kat McKay and College sophomore Sola Park were elected as the new president and vice president of the Undergraduate Assembly, respectively.

Credit: Julio Sosa

On Friday night, the Nominations and Elections Committee announced College junior Kat McKay and College sophomore Sola Park as the new president and vice president of the Undergraduate Assembly, respectively. 

“I am beyond thrilled and very grateful to all the people who helped support me since day one at Penn,” McKay said. “This is also a historic moment because this is the first ever female-female ticket to run and to win.”

McKay won the presidency with 2440 points, beating runner-up College junior Ray Clark with 2161 points. Park won the position of vice president with 2193 points, 365 more points than runner-up College junior Taylor Becker.

There were no Fair Practices Code violations this year, Wharton senior and NEC Vice Chair for Elections Matt Herling said. This year voter turnout was 50.88 percent — the third highest since the UA President became an elected position. Last year’s voter turnout was 39 percent.

For the Senior Class Board, every incumbent member was reelected. College junior Darren Tomasso will serve as president for the fourth year in a row. 

Both the incoming 2018 and 2019 Class Board presidents are challengers who ran against the incumbents. College sophomore Makayla Reynolds was elected as Class Board 2018 president with 460 points, beating incumbent College sophomore Vadim Ordovsky-Tanaevsky, who had 332 points.

Engineering freshman Aren Raisinghani was elected as Class Board 2019 president, beating incumbent Wharton freshman Toto Nguyen by 210 points. The VP External and Wharton Representative positions for Class Board 2019 were also contested, with College freshman Calvary Rogers and Wharton freshman Allysha Davis, respectively, beating the current position holders.

Voting took place from Wednesday March 30 at 12 a.m. till April 1 at 5 p.m. and candidates have been campaigning in college houses, on Locust Walk and on Facebook. 

“This week has been very hectic, but it was a great experience because I got to meet a lot of people and talk to a lot of students,” Park said. “Next year I want to focus on collaboration within the student groups, communication between me, administrators and students and efficiency by bringing in more high-level administrators so that Steering leaders have the opportunity to advance their voices."