spectrum

SPEC-TRUM cancelled their annual spring concert, after YG and Metro Boomin were unable to make it. // Courtesy of SPEC-TRUM

On Wednesday morning, the Social Planning and Events Committee to Represent Undergraduate Minorities announced that YG would no longer be performing at the SPEC-TRUM spring concert scheduled for that night. Then, three hours before the show, SPEC-TRUM cancelled the concert altogether after Metro Boomin missed his flight to Philadelphia, according to the Facebook event.

Originally, SPEC-TRUM planned its annual spring concert featuring YG, Metro Boomin and Kamaiyah to be held on Wednesday night at 8 p.m. at the 23rd Street Armory. The event was scheduled for the last day of classes to celebrate the end of the year, and SPEC-TRUM had been selling tickets on Locust Walk and online leading up to the event.

At 9 a.m. on Wednesday, SPEC-TRUM posted on its Facebook event page that “because YG is ill, he is no longer able to make it to our SPEC-TRUM Spring Show at 8 p.m.”

The 26-year-old Compton, California-born rapper was supposed to be the headliner for the show, and after the announcement, the concert — then featuring only Metro Boomin and Kamiayah — became free for all PennCard holders and $10 for the public.

Anyone who had already bought a physical ticket or bought one online for $20 would be reimbursed, SPEC-TRUM posted.

Then at 5 p.m., SPEC-TRUM posted another update, this time completely cancelling the event after Metro Boomin missed his flight. SPEC-TRUM stated that “We are sorry about any inconvenience this has caused, we are just as disappointed as you are.” The SPEC-TRUM directors were not immediately available for comment at the time of publication.

The event comes after another near-cancellation of the Spring Fling headliner, Chance the Rapper, who considered backing out the day of the show due to illness but eventually decided to go on later than planned.