untitled_shoothospitalzach025_as_smart_object1

A student concerned with a peers' actions in Huntsman Hall alerted the Division of Public Safety on Tuesday night. 

Credit: Guyrandy Jean-GIlles

Concerns over a student’s actions in Huntsman Hall prompted a UPennAlert on Tuesday night, according to the Division of Public Safety.

Around 7:15 p.m., DPS sent an alert that described “increased police activity” at Huntsman. Fifteen minutes later, DPS sent an all-clear message. Nobody was injured, according to DPS.

A little after 7 p.m., DPS received a phone call from a student in Huntsman who was concerned about a fellow student’s behavior, Vice President for Public Safety Maureen Rush said.

The student in question had been in a meeting with other students in Huntsman. The individual, whose gender was not released by DPS, left with a knife that was being used to cut a cake, Rush said.

“We were very concerned as to the way in which the student left with the knife and were concerned for [the individual’s] safety and the safety of others,” she added.

Once DPS was alerted to the situation, they notified security guards in Huntsman Hall and sent Penn Police to the location. The UPennAlert was also sent at that time.

DPS brought the student into custody, where they chose, as of Tuesday night, to not make an arrest. The all-clear message initially said the student was arrested, but Rush said that after the individual was brought in for questioning, DPS “was able to adjudicate the situation without making an arrest.”

Please send any comments or further information to City News Editor Dan Spinelli at spinelli@thedp.com.