castle

A possible arson was reported at the Psi Upsilon house on Oct. 23rd. | DP File Photo

Credit: Luke Chen

On Thursday, a student was arrested in connection to the investigation of an alleged arson at Psi Upsilon, also known as Castle.

Lorenzo Bonfiglio, a College and Wharton sophomore from London and a member of the Owls Society, was arrested by Penn Police “in connection with an arson,” according to an email from the Division of Public Safety.  The fire was set in a closet at the Psi Upsilon fraternity on 250 S. 36th Street on Oct. 23, DPS stated in the email. Bonfiglio has been arraigned and a hearing date is set for Nov. 13.

A built-in sprinkler system managed to extinguish the blaze. No serious injuries were reported. “We are grateful that the fire was quickly contained and that no one was hurt,” Vice President for Public Safety Maureen Rush said in the email.

The Director of the Office of Fraternity and Sorority Life Eddie Banks-Crosson referred comment on the fire and arrest to University Communications. He noted that OFSL does not have oversight of unregistered organizations, which would include Owls. 

"Everyone in the Office of Fraternity and Sorority Life appreciates everything DPS did responding to the fire, ensuring student safety, and working with us to get the members back into the house when that was permitted," Banks-Crosson wrote. "VPUL and OFSL continue to work with chapter members who may have been impacted by the fire."

According to Bonfiglio’s Facebook page, he is a student in the Huntsman Program in International Studies and Business.

Psi Upsilon President and Wharton senior Michael Pozzuoli declined to comment on the arrest.

Staff Reporter Lily Zandi contributed reporting.

Last updated on Oct. 30 at 11:40 a.m. Check back for updates.