Paul Nungesser, the Columbia student accused of raping fellow student Emma Sulkowicz — who has gained national attention for carrying her mattress around campus in protest of Columbia not expelling Nungesser — has come forth with his version of events. 

In his recount, Nungesser explains that he and Sulkowicz had a platonic friendship, during the course of which they had two "sexual encounter[s]." One night after returning from summer break, he and Sulkowicz went back to her place. There, according to Sulkowicz's account, Nungesser "suddenly and brutally assaulted her, then picked up his clothes and left without a word." According to Nungesser, they "briefly engaged in anal intercourse by mutual agreement, then went on to engage in other sexual activity and fell asleep."

Following the events of that night, Sulkowicz and Nungesser, according to him, "maintained a cordial relationship," and though they were not as close as they once were, he did not feel there was anything alarmingly wrong.  In 2013, following winter break, Nungesser messaged Sulkowicz via Facebook, but got no response. 

In April 2013, he was called into the Office of Gender-Based and Sexual Misconduct, where he was told he had been accused of sexually assaulting Sulkowicz. Nungesser believed "it [had[ to be a misunderstanding."

By May 3, one of Nungesser's former girlfriends came forth with allegations that Nungesser had "emotionally and sexually abused her" during their relationship. Another complaint came from a member of Nungesser's coed fraternity. She claimed he "had followed her upstairs during a house party after offering to help her get more beer to restock the bar, then grabbed her and tried to kiss her."

Read about Nungesser's reaction to the accusations and his full version of events here.