philadelphia

With the Philadelphia mayoral election gaining citywide momentum in anticipation for the Democratic primary on May 19, Penn students are at risk from being shut out of the process.

Next year’s race to replace Mayor Michael Nutter has already been shaping up, with four Democratic and two Republican candidates declaring their intentions to run for the position. But even though the primary elections are far away, for Penn students interested in voting, it’s important to be aware of possible conflicts.

For students, the date of the primary is tricky: With the last day of spring finals on May 12, many students will no longer be in Philadelphia for the election. Students who are registered in Philadelphia who live elsewhere can only vote through absentee ballot, which takes time and effort.

Nonetheless, Penn’s Office of Government and Community Affairs remains aware of the potential problem and is continuing its Penn Voter Education Task Force in order to register students to vote.

“For the spring semester, the Task Force will circulate voter registration forms and absentee ballot information to designated campus depots,” Administrative Coordinator of OGCA Jessica McIlhenny said in an email. “We will also launch an absentee ballot communications campaign on social media and host an Absentee Ballot Application Day on [Locust] Walk to inform students about [Pennsylvania]’s absentee voting process.”

While registration issues make it difficult to engage students in the mayoral election, apathy and disengagement also add to weak voter turnout. In the midterm elections on Nov. 4, polling locations at Penn saw a 23 percent drop in voter participation from four years earlier.

Even though Penn voter turnout was weak in November, OGCA remains hard at work at engaging students in local, state and national politics.

“I’m hoping that Penn students, faculty and staff will be active throughout the campaign season by focusing on the range of important issues at the forefront,” Executive Director Dawn Maglicco Deitch said, citing the Young Involved Philadelphia Advocacy Committee and its campaign to institute same-day voter registration.

Maglicco Deitch also mentioned the Philadelphia Chamber of Commerce’s initiative called the Roadmap for Growth, which involves “a whole slate of events to foster dialogue about economic growth and job creation in relation to the mayoral and city council races,” she added. “The third issue forum, which focuses on the expansion of the innovation economy in our region, will be held on Penn’s campus in early March.”