10062012_soccervscolumbia0002
Men's Soccer vs Columbia Credit: Amiya Chopra , Amiya Chopra

Three of Penn’s best are moving up in the soccer world.

On Tuesday night, rising senior Jonny Dolezal, fellow classmate Stephen Baker and rising junior Duke Lacroix took the field to play in the second round of the Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup.

The three play on teams in the USL Premier Development League — Dolezal and Baker on Reading United A.C. and Lacroix on the Ocean City Nor’easters — and going into the second round of the Cup, the odds were stacked against them.

In the second round, teams take on professionals from the USL Pro League, but both Reading and Ocean City won their contests by the same score, 1-0.

With the wins, United and the Nor’easters advance to face off against MLS squads, the New York Red Bulls and the Philadelphia Union respectively.

“It’s going to be a whole other level,” Baker said.

Before they could get the chance to face off against the best the United States has to offer, the Penn stars had to take down tough talent.

Reading took on the Harrisburg City Islanders, who have former Penn standout Thomas Brandt on the roster.

United was able to control the contest early by putting the pressure on the Islanders’ defense. It didn’t take long for them to crack through, scoring nine minutes into the first half.

While Baker didn’t see the field, Dolezal started as a defensive wing, and played the entire 90-plus minutes.

“We needed to counter Harrisburg’s speed, so they moved him to a position he wasn’t used to playing on this squad, out to the wing,” Baker said. “He did a great job keeping their offense at bay. Our whole back line did.”

In addition to helping match the Islanders’ quickness on defense, Dolezal made himself a part of the offense early and often, getting a nice cross off three minutes into the contest as well as a straight-on shot at the Islanders’ goal.

As for Baker and Dolezal’s teammate, Lacroix got the start for the Nor’easters as they faced off against the Pittsburgh Riverhounds.

Early, the Nor’easters showed the Riverhounds respect, being hesitant to attack on offense and open themselves up to counter-attacks.

After 15 minutes, however, the Nor’easters decided to attack more, and that’s when Lacroix got going.

28 minutes into the contest, Lacroix made a pass into the box that was just long for his teammate. Ten minutes later, he got a shot from the corner of the 18-foot box, but it fell right into the arms of the keeper.

It wasn’t until a corner kick in the second half that Ocean City got on the board.

The kick flew into the box, and after a mad scramble, the Nor’easters put it in the back of the net.

Following the goal, Pittsburgh upped the physicality, leading to numerous fouls and cards drawn in the waning minutes of the game.

For Lacroix though, he was used to that level of physicality.

“At Penn, we got to practice with the Union reserves, and that got me ready for play at that level,” he said.

With the win, Lacroix will get a homecoming of sorts, playing in a major league arena just miles away from Penn.

As he and his teammates go further in the Cup, it’s a testament to the program that Penn’s players can compete with professionals.

Their games next Tuesday will be their hardest tests yet.