Wharton’s D.C. program has gained new leadership.

Last Thursday, the Wharton School announced that Monica Medina will be the new executive director of the Wharton Public Policy Initiative.

Medina will be first executive director of the Initiative. She was chosen for her extensive background in politics, according to a press release from Wharton on March 14, as she has served as the special assistant to the Secretary of Defense. In this role, she has been involved in key policy matters relating to energy and environmental issues, veteran’s employment, the repeal of “Don’t Ask Don’t Tell” and several other key issues.

The program provides a chance for students and faculty to engage in political research and create a bridge between business and politics. The Wharton Public Policy Initiative has offices both on campus and in Washington, and was launched in September 2012.

“I am pleased to welcome Monica to Wharton. Her experience and enthusiasm for policy work will serve the initiative well,” Wharton Dean Thomas Robertson said in a press release.

“It is vital for business to understand government and for government to understand business. This initiative will serve as a conduit to provide knowledge and analysis of important and timely issues to government and policy leaders,” he added.

Medina is currently still with the Department of Defense. She will assume her position in D.C. on April 12.