Lamda Phi Epsilon, a national fraternity for Asian Americans that was organized at the University last semester, has been recognized by the Interfraternity Council and will officially participate in this year's rush. And two national Asian-American sororities, Kappa Delta Phi and Sigma Omicron Theta, will send representatives to campus at the end of the semester to investigate starting chapters at the University. Lambda Phi Epsilon is the nation's fastest growing minority fraternity with over 2,000 active brothers in the United States, according to rush chairman and College sophomore Kalvin Lee. The University's chapter is the first on the East Coast, he added. LPE President Jacob Hsu said that like other minority fraternities and sororities on campus, LPE aims to bring together Asian-American students. "Our experience as Asian Americans gives us a different perspective in making social change," he said. The group wants to preserve the traditional definition of a Greek as being "a complete person who lives in the community." Hsu also said that the LPE wants to avoid being stereotyped as either a social or a service fraternity, he said. Hsu, a Wharton sophomore, said, "We are a brotherhood and as a brotherhood we've decided to work for social change through service." Members recently participated in the opening of the Asian-American Social Service Center for the Greater Philadelphia Area, the first of its kind for this community. LPE plans to contribute money and time toward programs teaching basic survival skills, drug rehabilitation and proper nutrition to Asian Americans of all ages. "Some of the people don't even know how to use the telephone," Hsu said. "By being a part of this I feel we will achieve real social change." LPE members also plan to work with Habitat for Humanity, Upward Bound and several other community projects. Within the University community they plan to organize and unify other Asian Americans on campus, Lee said. "We also hope to provide some of the political representation on campus which Asian Americans are currently lacking, a unifying voice to address the concerns of all Asian Americans," Lee said.