wrestling-feature-reina

Penn wrestling coach Roger Reina will step down from the role after the 2024-25 season.

Credit: Emily Xu

Penn wrestling coach Roger Reina, the winningest coach in the program’s history, will step down from his position at the conclusion of the 2024-25 season, Penn Athletics announced Thursday.

Reina will be succeeded by another all-time great Quaker: Matt Valenti, who wrestled for the Red and Blue from 2004-2007. Valenti is the program’s all-time wins leader with 137 wins, and won two NCAA national championships in 2006 and 2007.

“As a proud alumnus, it is a tremendous honor to step into a leadership role with the Penn wrestling program,” Valenti said in a press release from Penn Athletics.  “... Together with the Penn wrestling team, alumni, staff, and community, I look forward to forging a path of continued success both on and off the mat.”

Over Reina’s two stints as head coach, the first from 1985 to 2005 and the second from 2017-present, he has amassed 248 total wins and led the Quakers to eight Ivy League titles. This season, Penn finished No. 25 in the NWCA Coaches poll and qualified eight wrestlers for the NCAA Championships.

Although Reina will resign as coach at the end of next season, he will remain involved with the program and serve as coach emeritus during the 2025-26 season. The team believes this decision will ease the changeover from one coach to another and put the program in the best place to succeed moving forward.

“This thoughtful transition will enable our Penn wrestlers, families, staff, and alumni to work together over the next two years to effectively navigate the change and empower the successful future of Penn wrestling. Our community is committed to a lasting legacy of excellence,” Reina said. “I am excited to begin working with Matt along with our staff in the continued pursuit of our goals.”

Valenti began his coaching career as an assistant at Columbia from 2007-2009 before serving as an assistant coach at Penn from 2009-2015. He will now return as associate head coach, and look to positively impact the program before taking the reins in 2025.

“I’m excited for the opportunity to work with coach Valenti,” Penn wrestling Director of Operations Kevin McGuigan said. “Our staff is getting stronger and the future of Penn wrestling is in good hands with a solid path forward and upward.”

Sports Associate Conor Smith contributed reporting to this story.