1-28-24-mens-wrestling-vs-columbia-nate-sirlin

Penn mens wrestling traveled to Lewisburg, Pennsylvania to compete in the EIWA Championships.

Credit: Nathaniel Sirlin

This past weekend, Penn wrestling wrapped up its conference season with a trip to the Eastern Intercollegiate Wrestling Association Championships in Lewisburg, Pa. Following the conclusion of the two-day event, the Quakers finished tied for fourth overall and had five wrestlers earn automatic slots to the NCAA Championships in Kansas City. 

The action began across several weight classes on Friday, and Penn saw several wrestlers find quick success. Junior Nick Incontrera — who entered the weekend ranked No. 6 nationally in his 174-pound weight class — won his first two matches on Friday to secure a slot at the NCAA Championships. Additionally, junior CJ Composto, freshman Jude Swisher, and senior Lucas Revano all won both of their matches on Friday to enter the semifinal round. 

These strong individual performances were enough to have Penn be tied for third place as a team on 62.5 points at the end of competition Friday. And even though four Quakers fell to the consolation bracket after dropping matches on the first day, they had an opportunity to fight back and earn a favorable final placement. 

When competition resumed on Saturday, multiple members of Penn's team won enough matches to join Incontrera in punching tickets to NCAA Championships. By the end of the competition, Composto, Revano, freshman Max Gallagher, and senior Cole Urbas were all guaranteed spots in Kansas City in their respective weight classes. All in all, eight Quakers finished within the top 10 of their events, while the team was tied for fourth place overall on 90.5 points. 

There are no more meets until NCAA Championships, which take place March 21-23 in Kansas City. Beyond the five wrestlers already qualified, Penn hopes to earn additional at-large bids, which will be announced on Wednesday.