01-21-23-womens-basketball-vs-yale-stina-almqvist-anna-vazhaeparambil-01
Sophomore guard Stina Almqvist makes a reverse layup in the fourth quarter to put Penn up by 22 points against Yale during the game at the Palestra on Jan. 21. Credit: Anna Vazhaeparambil

On Saturday, both Penn men’s and women’s basketball faced capable, Yale squads above .500 with mixed results. While the women’s team dominated the Bulldogs at the Palestra in a 22-point rout, the men’s team faltered on the road, dropping its third straight game in a seven-point defeat.

Here are the top three plays from the weekend’s bouts.

3. Floor Toonders sets up Kayla Padilla

Though not the flashiest play, junior forward Floor Toonders demonstrated her high basketball IQ at the start of Saturday’s contest, dishing the ball to senior guard Kayla Padilla and then setting two screens for her, anticipating where her teammate would be. Toonders' footwork gave Padilla an open lane to the rim, and she capitalized on the chance to score Penn’s first bucket of the game.

2. Jordan Dingle hits an and-one triple

With a tied game almost seven minutes in, the tide initially turned in the Quakers’ favor on Saturday thanks to one man: Jordan Dingle. The junior guard caught a pass from senior guard Jonah Charles at the top of the key and put up a deep three. As he came down from the shot, a Yale defender was too far into Dingle’s landing space. The triple sank in, and Dingle made the free throw to complete the four-point play.

1. Stina Almqvist with the circus shot

With the Quakers holding a 20-point lead and the game all but secured for Penn, sophomore guard Stina Almqvist saved her best for last. Driving to the hoop from the left side, Almqvist found herself running at the basket, and, at full speed and through contact, she heaved up a reverse layup that hit the backboard, landed in, and put Penn up a whopping 22 points.