stanley-baum
Professor Stanley Baum.

Perelman School of Medicine Professor Emeritus Stanley Baum died at 92 on Oct. 15.

Baum served as a professor of radiology at the Perelman School of Medicine and as the chair of the department for over 20 years, according to the Penn Almanac. He is survived by his wife, children, grandchildren, and great-grandson. 

Baum was a renowned scholar in the field of radiology, studying at the University of Utrecht in Holland for his M.D. and fulfilling his residency at the Medical School in 1961. 

In the 1960s, Baum began as an associate professor at Penn while maintaining a research career in the field of radiology, according to the Penn Almanac. As chair of the radiology department starting in 1975, Dr. Baum helped research numerous developments in radiology. 

The Almanac reported that Baum developed radiological techniques for the study of blood vessels. He also researched techniques for locating internal abdominal bleeding that led to gastrointestinal bleeding. Baum retired in 2013 and was granted emeritus status.

Baum won several teaching awards during his tenure as a professor at Penn while also serving on Penn’s Faculty Senate Executive Committee and on University Council. 

Moreover, Baum was recognized in the field of radiology outside of the Penn community. 

He was a founding member of the Society for Cardiovascular and Interventional Radiology and received numerous gold medal awards from varying medical societies such as the Radiological Society of North America and the American College of Radiology, according to the Almanac.

Penn continues to recognize Baum’s achievements through the Stanley Baum Professorship of Radiology, which was established in 2001. According to the Penn Medicine website, the professorship is “awarded to an outstanding tenured professor in the Department of Radiology in the Perelman School of Medicine.”