11-27-22-mens-basketball-vs-delaware-jonah-charles-anna-vazhaeparambil
Senior guard Jonah Charles inbounds the ball during the first half of the game against Delaware at the Palestra for the Cathedral Classic on Nov. 27. Credit: Anna Vazhaeparambil

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times — it was a tale of two weeks for Penn’s basketball programs, with the men’s team finishing with a spotless 4-0 record and a victory in the Cathedral Classic, and the women’s team losing two tough matchups on its West Coast road trip. But even in a time of darkness, there are always highlights. Let’s take a look at the top three most exciting plays from the last week.  

3. Jonah Charles muscles his way to the putback lay-in

Senior Jonah Charles makes most of his impact as a long-range specialist, but he demonstrated his toughness with a second-chance bucket in a strong team showing against Hartford. Effort on the boards wins games, and Charles proved that with his gritty performance.

2. Simone Sawyer connects on a triple in breakout performance

Despite a second-half letdown against San Francisco, the women’s team held a 10-point lead at halftime of its matchup with the Dons, and a driving factor behind that advantage was the shooting of Sawyer. The freshman was a flamethrower from three, with her fourth make capping a dominant Quaker run.

1. Jordan Dingle gets the hoop and the harm to bury Delaware

The Quakers led by 12 with 4:16 left to play in their tilt against Delaware — a secure position, but far from a guaranteed victory. That was until superstar Jordan Dingle launched a triple from the top of the key, drilling the shot despite a foul from the Hens defender, earning a rare four-point play and capping Penn’s perfect week in style.