02-23-22-west-philadelphia-stock-oscar-vasquez-2

The number carjacking incidents have increased this year.

Credit: Oscar Vasquez

While homicide rates have slightly decreased in Philadelphia, carjacking is on the rise — according to the Philadelphia District Attorney. 

In a meeting with reporters, Philadelphia District Attorney Larry Krasner discussed an increase in Philadelphia carjackings with more than 1,000 incidents being reported through the end of September, WHYY reported.

In response to the increasing rate earlier this year, the Division of Public Safety sent out a bulletin to the community in January providing updated guidelines regarding how to avoid instances of carjacking, and how to respond to them if necessary. 

A month later, the Philadelphia Police Department reported a decrease in carjackings in the city, with the rate falling to a record low of 20 carjackings in the week of March 9. Krasner says that the rate is "ever-increasing" now, as part of a nationwide uptick

Krasner spoke to a larger pattern of carjackings up and down the East Coast. He reported cars were “getting jacked and sent overseas,” and predicts that as the supply chain picks up again and car parts become more readily available, this rate might begin to decrease.  

The city's homicide rate, however, is about 3% less than it was this time last year, with 403 homicides compared to last year's 416. Krasner suggested this may be due to lessening pandemic restrictions. 

He also attributed this decline to the return of more personal interactions resulting from pandemic restrictions being lifted. By the end of last year, there were 562 reported homicides. 

Krasner also offered an update on the status of the investigation into the recent shooting outside Roxborough High School, which killed a 14-year-old student and injured four others. 

The DA’s head of homicide Joanne Pescatore reported that while there are no urgent updates, investigators are “working around the clock” to find people responsible for the shooting at Roxborough High School, just 30 minutes from Penn’s campus.