10-08-22-football-vs-georgetown-julien-stokes-anna-vazhaeparambil-01
Sophomore Julien Stokes runs the ball down the field during the game against Georgetown at Cooper Field on Oct. 8. Credit: Anna Vazhaeparambil

After an impressive performance by Penn football over fall break at Georgetown, the Quakers have started to receive recognition from national polls. 

The Quakers received 16 votes in the American Football Coaches Association FCS Coaches Poll and four votes in the STATS Perform FCS Media Poll.

The national recognition arrives after this past weekend, in which the Red and Blue crushed the Hoyas in a 59-28 rout to add to their undefeated record (4-0, 1-0 Ivy), leaving only Penn and Princeton (4-0, 1-0) as the last undefeated teams in the Ivy League. 

Penn has also already topped its win total from last season, when it finished 3-7 en route to a near dead-last finish in the Ancient Eight. In 2021, Penn's offense totaled an Ivy-low 19.1 points per game. This go-around, the Quakers are now tied for most points per game in the conference with 29.8.

As the season continues, the Red and Blue will be faced with six more Ivy League opponents before their 2022 campaign comes to a close. The best the team had started its season since the undefeated 10-0 season of 2003 was in 2017 and 2018, where Penn started off both years with 2-0 records.

This Saturday, the Quakers will take on their second Ivy team this season, Columbia (3-1, 0-1).