10-18-22-mens-soccer-vs-drexel-leo-burney-anna-vazhaeparambil
Sophomore defender Leo Burney dribbles the ball down the field during a game at Vidas Field against Drexel on Oct. 18. Credit: Anna Vazhaeparambil

Penn men's soccer is no longer on a winning streak, although the Quakers managed to resist Drexel and escape Tuesday's game without a loss.

Both teams struggled to near the net in the first half of a chilly evening at Drexel's Vidas Field. Penn had marked three total shots, all of which avoided target. Despite having the best scoring opportunity for either side late in the half, Drexel also failed to score, with Penn senior goalkeeper Nick Christoffersen making an incredible diving save on Drexel forward Joshua Pulla's shot to keep things knotted at 0-0 at halftime

In the second half, the Quakers returned with fresh strategies, tallying three more shots within the first seven minutes of the half, though all of them went off-target. Christoffersen once again stepped up and made a big save on Dragons midfielder Antonio Illuminato's on-target attempt.

Credit: Anna Vazhaeparambil

Senior goalkeeper Nick Christoffersen makes a save on Drexel during the away game at Vidas Field on Oct. 18.

In the 65th minute, Drexel finally broke through with a goal being scored by defender Cesar Banacloy. Penn had to answer quick, and, while staring into the eyes of defeat, a familiar face stepped up for the Red and Blue.

Sophomore defender Leo Burney, who had scored four times this season prior to this game, was coming off an 89th-minute walk-off goal against Cornell in what had been the Quakers' biggest game of the season. On Tuesday, he quickly turned the tables once again with a goal of his own in the 71st minute, assisted by standout senior midfielder Ben Stitz.

While both sides had good looks in the 84th and 85th minutes of the game, scoring attempts by both teams were unsuccessful, as both sides’ goalkeepers made diving saves to rescue the tie. The Quakers then took the final two shots of the night, with the first being blocked and the second being off target, to seal each team's fate of one point.

Credit: Anna Vazhaeparambil

Senior midfielder Ben Stitz during the game against Drexel at Vidas Field on Oct. 18.

Burney’s five goals are the most by a Penn backliner in one season since 2018, when then-sophomore Alex Touche also had five. Stitz also continued his hot streak, recording at least a single point in nine straight matches. Their heroics brought the Red and Blue's undefeated streak to nine and to their best record since 2008, when they opened the season 7-0-3. Tuesday’s game also marked the fifth straight time that a Penn-Drexel match was decided by one goal or fewer. 

Next up, the Quakers will look to continue their dominance against a well-performing Brown on Saturday. In that game, the Red and Blue will look to clinch their first ten-win season since their 2010 Ivy League title team.