09-02-22-mens-soccer-vs-rider-michael-hewes-anna-vazhaeparambil-01
Junior midfielder Michael Hewes steals the ball away from a Rider forward during the game at Rhodes Field on Sept. 20. Credit: Anna Vazhaeparambil

Men’s soccer junior midfielder Michael Hewes is our DP Sports Player of the Week following an impressive showing during two weekend contests.

Hewes put up four goals across both games — two in each — making this a double brace weekend for him. He also received Ivy League Player of the Week, the second consecutive time a Quaker has taken home the award, as sophomore forward Stas Korzeniowski earned it last week. 

On Friday, the West Chester, Pa. native scored two goals within 52 minutes against Mount St. Mary’s, while the rest of the Quaker roster combined for three goals. After 90 minutes, Hewes’ two goals contributed to the Quakers’ 5-0 shutout over Mount St. Mary’s. 

Two days later, Hewes scored one of Penn’s four goals in the first half that brought the Red and Blue to a 4-0 lead at the end of the period. Fairleigh Dickinson responded with one goal in the second half, and Hewes retaliated with his second goal of the night, accompanied by another from sophomore Brandon Curran. 

The night ended with Penn securing a 6-1 win over the Knights, bringing its record on the season to 4-1-1. The six-goal output was not only part of Hewes’ double brace, but it also marked the most goals scored in a game with coach Brian Gill at the helm, and the first time the Quakers have scored six goals at home since 2008. 

During Sunday’s contest, Hewes also reached a collegiate career high in minutes played at 70 minutes. 

The Red and Blue return on Sunday at 2 p.m. at DePaul before starting their Ivy League conference matchups the following week.