07-04-21-fourth-of-july-kylie-cooper
The Wawa Welcome America fireworks display as seen from in front of the Philadelphia Museum of Art. Credit: Kylie Cooper

This story was last updated at 12:51 a.m. on July 5. Please check back for new updates. 

Two police officers were shot on the Benjamin Franklin Parkway as thousands gathered to celebrate July 4 with fireworks at the Wawa Welcome America festival.

Shots were fired around 9:47 p.m. near the Philadelphia Museum of Art. Two police officers were shot, one with a graze wound to the head and the other with a wound to the right shoulder, according to NBC10 Philadelphia. Both are in stable condition at Thomas Jefferson University Hospital.

The shots came from the area of 25th and Spring Garden streets, behind where the Wawa Welcome America concert — headlined by Jason Derulo — had concluded minutes before, according to NBC10. 

While the fireworks continued, crowds of event attendees and nearby people could be seen running away from the area. Police instructed individuals in nearby buildings to shelter in place.

Police surveilled Parke Town Apartments, a building adjacent to the shooting, soon after the incident. All towers of the building were locked down "until we have further information available," the apartment company said in an email to NBC10. Police now say that the search had nothing to do with the shooting.

Police have set up a reunification facility at 1901 Vine St. in front of the Free Library of Philadelphia to reunite parents, friends, and children who were separated during the commotion, Vice President of the Division of Public Safety Kathleen Shields Anderson told The Daily Pennsylvanian.