02-26-22-wlax-vs-johns-hopkins-aly-feeley-anna-vazhaeparambil
Sophomore midfielder Aly Feeley swerves away from a Johns Hopkins defender during the game at Franklin Field on Feb. 26. Credit: Anna Vazhaeparambil

A nail-biting game for the Penn women’s lacrosse team ended in a tough loss against the Yale Bulldogs on Saturday, 11-10. The Quakers blew a five-goal lead in the third quarter and now sit at sixth in the Ivy League standings.

Despite the loss, Penn (3-6, 0-2 Ivy) was dominant in the draws, winning 17 out of the 25 over the course of the game. Throughout several points in the contest, the Quakers left the Bulldogs scoreless for some time thanks to their strong defense, especially from senior goalkeeper and DP sports associate Krissy Kowalski. 

Here, we’ll break down the top three moments from this past weekend’s exciting game.

Four straight goals to go up 5-2

In the second quarter, the Quakers jumped out to an early lead after scoring four consecutive goals, putting Penn up 5-2 against the slow-starting Bulldogs (5-2, 2-0). The first quarter started with a goal from Yale, which was quickly matched by a goal from freshman Anna Brandt, her ninth of the season. The Bulldogs then scored another goal to bring their lead to one, but that would be their last lead for a while, as sophomores Aly Feeley and Kaitlyn Cumiskey, junior Chloe Hunter, and senior Taylyn Stadler each scored one point to put the Quakers on top heading into the third quarter. Specifically, Stadler's goal off an assist from junior Niki Miles, with 9:23 left in the second period put Penn up three and in the driver's seat during the early portion of the game.

Chloe Hunter hat trick

In the third quarter, Hunter completed her first career hat trick with her third goal of the game, bringing the Quakers' lead to 9-4 with 6:07 left in the period. The score capped off a three-goal run for Penn, which included goals from Stadler and freshman Keeley Block. An assist from Miles on the play marked her third of the game, which is the second-most assists she's had in a game this season.

Crucial Krissy Kowalski save

Prior to Yale scoring five straight goals to secure the victory over Penn, Kowalski made a big save to stave the Bulldogs off just a little longer. As a Yale attacker came charging towards the left side of the goal, Kowalski raised her stick and swatted the ball out of the air to keep the Red and Blue's lead at three heading into the fourth quarter.

This Sunday, the Quakers will return to Penn Park for their first home game since March 5 in the hopes of redeeming themselves, as the Penn hosts No. 3 Northwestern.