03-02-2021-city-hall-maya-pratt

Philadelphia City Hall as seen from Market Street on March 2.

Credit: Maya Pratt

The 2021 Philadelphia Marathon Weekend will cause multiple road closures and public transit route detours across the city. 

The road closures set to take place from Nov. 19 to Nov. 21 will affect several streets in the city, which will begin closing at 2 a.m. on Saturday and Sunday. Only the inner lanes of Benjamin Franklin Parkway will be closed on Friday. Reopening is scheduled for early afternoon, Philly Voice reported. Some SEPTA routes will also have closures in effect.

Near Penn’s campus, street closures will include Market Street, Chestnut Street, Walnut Street, and 34th Street on Saturday and Sunday. The City of Philadelphia has provided a complete list of road closures and public transit detours that will be in effect this weekend. 

According to an announcement made by the City of Philadelphia, the race begins and ends at Benjamin Franklin Parkway, with participants running through various parts of the city. Drivers in the area should expect traffic delays and difficulties parking, and should consider using alternate routes. 

The press release added that congestion may slow travel times for pedestrians and motorcyclists. The City of Philadelphia encourages people visiting cultural institutions along Benjamin Franklin Parkway to use public transportation.

The Philadelphia Marathon Weekend is an annual tradition that draws thousands of runners. This year, it will host three races: The AACR Philadelphia Marathon, Dietz & Watson Half Marathon and Rothman Orthopaedics 8K. While the Philadelphia Marathon Weekend has officially partnered with the American Association for Cancer Research this year, it also supports various local initiatives like Students Run Philly and Bike & Build.

The Philadelphia Marathon Weekend canceled its 2020 race due to COVID-19. To mitigate COVID-19 transmission in this year’s races, event organizers capped the number of total participants at about 24,000, compared to 30,000 prior to the pandemic. In-person marathon participants must send proof of a COVID-19 vaccination two weeks prior to race weekend. Runners also have the option to complete the races virtually during the month of November.

“These new guidelines will provide safety and protection for our staff, athletes, volunteers, and partners,” Philadelphia’s deputy managing director for general services, arts, and events David G. Wilson told The Philadelphia Inquirer.