09-12-19-rodin-college-house-zihan-chen
Credit: Zihan Chen

The application process to live in campus housing for the 2022-2023 academic year will begin in late October. Here are some of the key dates and time frames you'll need to know, as well as which college houses are available for upperclassmen.

Key dates to apply for campus housing

The Preferred Room Selection Application opens for current sophomores, juniors, and seniors with a graduation date later than May 30, 2022, on Oct. 26, Penn Residential and Hospitality Services Senior Associate Director Courtney Dombroski wrote in an email to The Daily Pennsylvanian. This application indicates to Housing and Residential Services which students are interested in living on campus in the following school year. Signing a Preferred Room Selection Application will also provide students with an advantage when room selection timeslots are determined.

The room selection application opens for all undergraduate students in January 2022. Those applying to live in a program community, which are living-and-learning environments that concentrate on a shared interest among residents, must submit their applications on a currently indeterminate date between February and March 2022. Examples of program communities offered to upperclassmen include Cultures Collective, Arts House, and the Biosciences Community.

Rising juniors and seniors who want to continue living in the same college house next year will be able to indicate so during the Return to House period, which will run from February to March 2022. The Move to Any House period will also take place during February and March of 2022. 

Current first-year and transfer students will be able to access the room selection application once it opens in late January. 

Where upperclassmen can apply to live on campus

Sophomores, juniors, and seniors have the option to live in any of four four-year communities or the four houses reserved for upperclassmen.

High Rises

Three high-rise apartment buildings are available for upperclassmen: Harnwell College House, Harrison College House, and Rodin College House. Each house occupies about 775 residents in single, double, triple, and quad apartments. The high rises are home to rooftop study lounges, as well as lounges on each floor. Other accommodations include exercise rooms, meeting rooms, and computer labs, as well as a number of program communities. The high rises are situated along Locust Walk near 39th and 40th streets.

New College House West

Penn's newest housing option opened its doors for the first time this fall after a record-shattering $169.5 million construction. Located near 40th and Walnut streets, NCHW houses 430 sophomores, juniors, and seniors in three- to six-bedroom suites. Amenities include a dining cafe, private courtyard, coffee bar, meditation room, and fitness room. NCHW is also home to the Quaker Kitchen, a dining facility that serves a restaurant-style dinner four to five nights each week and offers basic cooking lessons to students.

Lauder College House

Home to 344 students, including 100 first years, Lauder College House offers residents three- to six-bedroom suites. Similar in design to NCHW, Lauder's amenities include a private courtyard, seminar rooms, lounges on each floor, and a dining hall. Lauder is located near 34th and Walnut streets.

Gregory College House

A four-year community, Gregory houses 240 students, nearly half of which are first years, in single, double, and quad rooms. Gregory features study spaces, kitchen and TV lounges, as well as several program communities. The house, located near 39th and Spruce streets, was the most recent and final college house to install air conditioning.

Du Bois College House

Du Bois is a two-floor, four-year residence comprised of primarily apartment-style rooms with single, double, triple, and quad rooms. Known as a hub for Black student life on campus, Du Bois regularly hosts programming related to Black history and culture. Amenities include a library, seminar room, computer lab, exercise room, and art gallery. Du Bois occupies 159 residents, including 43 first years, and is located between 39th and 40th streets.

Stouffer College House

Stouffer is a two-building, four-year community located on 38th and Spruce streets. The college house consists of Stouffer Hall, a two-floor traditional dormitory-style residence with single and double rooms, and Mayer Hall, a seven-floor building with one- to two-bedroom apartments. Amenities include TV lounges, a piano, a pool table, a basketball court outside of Stouffer Hall, and an exercise room located in Mayer Hall.