02-01-21-snow-orlena-students-social-distancing-covid-masks
Students socially distancing on high rise field on Feb. 1, the day the Quiet Period was lifted. Credit: Melanie Hilman

Penn will begin to allow limited in-person student group meetings and access to Pottruck Health and Fitness Center as the Quiet Period ends.

In an email to undergraduate students on Wednesday morning, Deputy Provost Beth Winkelstein, Chief Wellness Officer Benoit Dubé, and Vice Provost for University Life Mamta Motwani Accapadi wrote that the end of the Quiet Period, which was in effect until Feb. 1, comes with the limited reopening of certain campus resources. The administrators, however, urged students to remain cautious and continue to see only other students in their pod.

"The core concept of the post-Quiet Period phase is 'more places, not more faces,'" the email reads. 

Although activities currently taking place online should remain virtual, student groups may now request indoor space to meet or rehearse. Student groups hoping to meet in person — either indoors or outdoors — must submit a request explaining why the activity cannot be held virtually.

Pottruck will begin a reopening pilot program for students deemed eligible due to their adherence to the Campus Compact, the email stated. If the pilot program is successful, the gym will open to a reservation system for all students in the coming weeks.

The pilot program will allow some students to use the gym from 3 p.m. to 7 p.m. on weekdays, 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. on Saturdays, and 12 p.m. to 4 p.m. on Sundays.

Students can also now reserve space on Franklin Field's track. Varsity athletes may begin physically distanced conditioning and skill exercises.

Van Pelt-Dietrich Library Center is also now open for a limited number of students to reserve a time slot from 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. on Mondays through Thursdays and 12 p.m. to 5 p.m. on Fridays.

Although Penn’s dining halls will remain takeout only, Starbucks in 1920 Commons will now allow indoor seating at 25% capacity. The email stated that more indoor dining may be available in the coming weeks.

Penn previously opened an indoor dining pilot program to residential advisors and graduate associates in the fall, which saw a participation rate of just 6%.

“Your decisions impact the lives and health of your classmates and our West Philadelphia neighbors,” the email stated.