penn-in-the-nfl-2-0

(Clockwise from top left) Kevin Stefanski, Justin Watson, Greg Van Roten, and Brandon Copeland. (Photos from Cleveland Browns, Mike Carlson/Tampa Bay Buccaneers, New England Patriots, and Melissa Melvin-Rodriguez/Panthers)

It is now past Week 13 of the 2020 NFL season, and with only a month left to go until the postseason, viewers now have a clear idea of how the playoffs are shaping up with only a month left to go in the regular season.

With that in mind, let’s check in to see how Penn alumni Kevin Stefanski, Brandon Copeland, and Greg Van Roten are all doing for their respective teams this season. Wide receiver Justin Watson and his Tampa Bay Buccaneers were on a bye this week and are preparing to face the Minnesota Vikings at home next week.

Kevin Stefanski — Coach, Cleveland Browns

Despite being only in his first year as a head coach for one of the least successful franchises in NFL history, Stefanski’s Browns are currently 9-3 with an 87.4% chance to make the playoffs for the first time since 2002, according to ESPN. Stefanski guided the Browns to their biggest win of the season, a 41-35 victory over the 8-3 Tennessee Titans, in which the score was much closer than what it should have been. Quarterback Baker Mayfield had arguably his best game of his career, and the Browns will look to continue this momentum to next week at home against the Baltimore Ravens on Monday Night Football.

Brandon Copeland — Outside Linebacker, New England Patriots

The former captain of the 2012 Ivy League Championship team suffered a season-ending pectoral injury against the 49ers in Week 7 and has not played since. His injury proves major to the Patriots who had eight players opt out of the season due to COVID-19 concerns, including many leaders on defense. Copeland provided them valuable linebacking depth this season, which has since been seriously depleted for a team that seems to evidently be missing Tom Brady’s presence in the locker room and on the field. Still, the Patriots are 6-6 after a 45-0 drubbing of the Los Angeles Chargers with a chance to earn a playoff berth in the next four weeks.

Greg Van Roten — Guard, New York Jets

For most of the season, Greg Van Roten was a bright spot on a team that significantly lacks them, as prior to Week 13, he played in 100% of all of the winless Jets’ offensive snaps. That streak came to an end on Sunday against the Raiders, as he suffered a toe injury that could very well be season-ending, after playing the first 19 offensive snaps of the game for the Jets. As for the Jets, they fell to 0-12 after losing by a score of 31-28 to the Las Vegas Raiders and allowing a 46-yard game-winning touchdown pass with five seconds to go on a highly questionable cover zero blitz.