penn-in-the-nfl-2-0

(Clockwise from top left) Kevin Stefanski, Justin Watson, Greg Van Roten, and Brandon Copeland. (Photos from Cleveland Browns, Mike Carlson/Tampa Bay Buccaneers, New England Patriots, and Melissa Melvin-Rodriguez/Panthers)

It has been a wild week in the NFL, where the combination of Thanksgiving games and coronavirus postponements will make this the longest week in NFL history. During this craziness, let’s check in on how the Penn alumni Kevin Stefanski, Justin Watson, Greg Van Roten, and Brandon Copeland fared in Week 12. 

Kevin Stefanski — coach, Cleveland Browns

After low scoring, bad weather affairs in their last three contests, the Browns traveled to Jacksonville for a game they were heavy favorites to win. However, that is not how the game went. In a back-and-forth game against the Jaguars, the Browns clawed out a 27-25 victory against the one-win team. The Jaguars had a two-point try at the end of the game to send it to overtime but failed to convert.

“We made it hard on ourselves there at the end," Stefanski said. "We can be better, but it’s a good team win and the guys fought and knew they would have to get that one.”

Stefanski's Browns are now 8-3 on the season, riding a three game winning streak. They now are tied for the third best record in the conference but sit in fifth place, as they share a division with the undefeated Pittsburgh Steelers. The team will look to hold onto their fifth place spot as they enter the final five games of their season.

Greg Van Roten – guard, New York Jets

The Jets fell to the Miami Dolphins, 20-3, in a game that was out of reach from the start. They are now 0-11 on the season. Once again, Roten played every offensive snap for the team, now playing all 677 offensive snaps for the Jets this season. He is the only Jets player to have played in 100% of the team's snaps this year. The Jets will look for their first win next week against the Las Vegas Raiders.

Justin Watson – wide receiver, Tampa Bay Buccaneers

After falling behind early to the Kansas City Chiefs, the Buccaneers crawled back to a narrow 27-24 defeat. Watson saw just one offensive snap in this contest, but he continued to have a major presence on special teams. He leads the team in special teams tackles on the season with six, which is top 30 in the NFL this season.

Brandon Copeland – outside linebacker, New England Patriots

Copeland has not played since suffering a season-ending injury against the San Francisco 49ers in Week 7. Despite his absence, his Patriots pulled off an upset victory over the Arizona Cardinals, bringing their record to 5-6 and inching closer to the playoff picture. Copeland will become a free agent after this season concludes.