philly-philadelphia-skyline-night
Of all COVID-19 response funds, 90% came from Philadelphia-based organizations. Credit: Kylie Cooper

The School of Social Policy and Practice’s dashboard, which tracks grant awards from COVID-19 response funds in the Philadelphia area, found over $40 million in grants awarded between March 18 and June 29. 

The Regional COVID Response Dashboard was created by SP2’s Center for High Impact Philanthropy and the Philanthropy Network of Greater Philadelphia to aggregate and analyze philanthropic response funds as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic. They looked at 13 COVID-19 response funds in southeastern Pennsylvania and southern New Jersey to visualize where funding remains high and to help funders plan beyond their initial relief efforts, according to the dashboard.

The dashboard found 4,892 grants were awarded, ultimately generating $40,133,289 for the Greater Philadelphia area. The average grant award was $8,211, and all grants were given to nonprofits, businesses, and individuals. 

The three areas that received the most financial support were economic activity, education, and health. Over $13.2 million went to economic activity, over $11.8 million to education, and over $11.3 million to health. Human services, arts and culture, and housing also received significant support, according to the dashboard.

The dashboard’s purpose is to help funders and nonprofits understand how philanthropic support was utilized in the Philadelphia area during the pandemic, specifically looking at grants awarded in 10 counties, SP2 News reported. The project explored what needs the funds addressed or overlooked, which communities and organizations funds were directed to, and the intentions of the grants.

57% of funds went to nonprofits based in Philadelphia. The study attributed this to Philadelphia being a county with high need, having the highest average Social Vulnerability Index and the fourth-highest COVID-19 death rate. Many nonprofits based in Philadelphia also work to support other counties, SP2 News reported.

Of all funds, 90% came from Philadelphia-based organizations. Leading fund contributors included the PHL COVID-19 Fund, Philadelphia COVID-19 Small Business Relief Fund, and Philadelphia Emergency Fund for Stabilization of Early Education