covid-19-coronavirus-mask
The daily average of new cases in Pennsylvania is now 1,500. Credit: Sharon Lee

Pennsylvania reported 2,219 COVID-19 cases on Friday, a new high for the state’s one-day case record.

On Thursday, the state had recorded 2,063 new COVID-19 cases, a one-day record that was broken on Friday, The Philadelphia Inquirer reported. The Pennsylvania Department of Health said that the high numbers were due in part to an error in the system that caused some cases reported earlier in the week to be included in later counts.

Throughout October, Pennsylvania has seen a fairly steady rise in the number of COVID cases reported each day, the Inquirer reported. The daily average of new cases in Pennsylvania is now 1,500, a number the state hasn’t seen since April. 

Over 230,000 COVID-19 tests were conducted in Pennsylvania between Oct. 15 and Oct. 21, 10,375 of which were positive, the Inquirer reported. According to the Centers for Disease Control COVID Data Tracker, Pennsylvania is 13th in the country for the number of COVID-19 cases over those seven days.

COVID-19 cases are rising across the country. The United States set its own record of new cases reported in a day on Thursday, with 77,000 positive cases, NBC News reported. The previous record for the U.S. had been 75,723 cases, a number reported on July 29th.

The city of Philadelphia is experiencing a spike of its own. In the week ending Oct. 10, Philadelphia averaged 189 daily positive cases. Philadelphia Health Commissioner Thomas Farley told Philly Voice that the city hadn’t experienced weekly averages that high since May. The city has not yet announced any plans to impose new restrictions.