philadelphia-police-department-ppd-car-siren-night

There was a heavy police presence on 40th and Chestnut streets Wednesday morning. 

Credit: Kylie Cooper

Shots fired at 4000 block of Chestnut Street prompted a Public Safety UPennAlert early Wednesday morning.

According to the Division of Public Safety's website, the perpetrators were two men on two different dirt bikes, possibly chased by a dark-colored Honda Pilot SUV last seen heading east on Chestnut Street at 34th Street. One of the men was wearing a yellow shirt, the other was in dark clothing.

The initial alert was sent to the Penn community at 12:16 a.m. At 12:40 a.m., the area was deemed all clear by DPS. Police and Allied Security are patrolling the area.

Vice President for Public Safety Maureen Rush later told The Daily Pennsylvanian that at around 11:46 p.m. both Penn Police and Philadelphia Police responded to gunshots along the 4000 block of Chestnut. Simultaneously, a vehicle and possibly a dirt bike were reported to be driving at a high-rate speed eastbound on Sansom, against traffic, which have now been linked to the two dirt bikes found responsible for the gunshots on 4000 Chestnut. 

Rush also said that DPS received calls from students who live on the 4000 block of Chestnut, saying that their windows were pierced by bullets. Two projectiles were recovered inside two different apartments on the upper floors of a complex of which the location has not been disclosed.

"At this moment, we have recovered multiple spent shell casings and surveyed the area to see if there's any other damage to windows but have not discovered any more and no injuries reported to us at this time." Rush said.

The investigation is ongoing, according to Rush, and is spearheaded by the Philadelphia Police with assistance from Penn Police detectives.  

This is a developing story that was last updated at 3:20 p.m. Please check back here for updates.