joe-biden-philadelphia-national-constitution-center
Four aides have recently joined Democratic nominee and Penn Presidential Professor of Practice Joe Biden's presidential Pennsylvania campaign. Credit: Sukhmani Kaur

With about three months until the general election, Penn Presidential Professor of Practice and presumptive Democratic nominee Joe Biden has a convincing lead in Pennsylvania over 1968 Wharton graduate and President Donald Trump. 

After the state's 20 electoral votes were decided by less than one percentage point in the last presidential election, both parties have since been pouring resources into Pennsylvania. Biden's campaign is headquartered in Philadelphia and Biden, Trump, and Vice President Mike Pence have all made visits to the state ahead of the election, the Inquirer reported.  

A Morning Consult Political Intelligence poll published on July 28 found that Biden has support from 50% of likely voters, compared to Trump's 42%. A CNBC and Change Research poll conducted in Pennsylvania from July 24 to 26 found Biden up 48%-46%, and a Fox News poll conducted from July 18 to 20 found that Biden is leading Trump 50%-39% in the state. 

Some Democrats are concerned about the increased organizing efforts of the Republican National Committee in the state, with over 100 people already on the ground in Pennsylvania, the Inquirer reported. 

In July, Biden added six new aides to his Pennsylvania campaign staff, including two with campaign experience in Western Pennsylvania, according to The Philadelphia Inquirer. 

Biden's new additions are reflective of the importance of Pennsylvania in the presidential race overall, as it was one of three traditionally blue states that 1968 Wharton graduate President Donald Trump carried in 2016, helping him win the last presidential election. Pennsylvania is part of the "blue wall," which contains Michigan, Wisconsin, and Pennsylvania, that was consistently won by the Democratic candidate from 1992-2012. 

Penn's political groups are continuing to push for student voter engagement in this election season, despite on-campus limitations on large gatherings and in-person activities inflicted by the coronavirus pandemic. Penn Leads the Vote created an electronic COVID-19 voting guide in collaboration with the Netter Center, and Penn Democrats intends to focus on hosting virtual events, such as listening to guest speakers, phone banking for candidates, and holding election-related discussions online.