penn-mens-swimming-son-nguyen-copy

Penn swimming had an up and down weekend as the Quakers finished seventh out of eight at the Ivy League Championships.

Credit: Son Nguyen

It was a long weekend for Penn men's swimming, as the team competed in the four-day Ivy League Championships, where a few members of the team set several personal records. 

The Red and Blue wrapped up the meet with 794.5 points, which was good enough for a seventh-place finish. Additionally, the male swimmers advanced to nine different ‘A’ finals. On the first day, the team competed in the 200-yard medley relay. Freshman Mark McCary and juniors Boris Yang, Sean Lee, and Nathaniel Cunnan beat last season’s mark by 1.81 seconds. On the second day, sophomore William Kamps stood out in the 500 free prelim, coming in second place and setting a personal record.

On the third day, four swimmers, McCrary, Yang, Lee, and junior Nathaniel Cunnan, advanced to the ‘A’ finals in the 400 medley relay, finishing in seventh place with a time of 3:14.75. Later on, Kamps once again set a personal record, this time in the 400 free with a time of 3:50.19. 

On the final day of the Ivy Championships, the Quakers continued their successes, highlighted by Kamps finishing third in the 1,650. Even though they could not capture the Ivy League title, the Red and Blue will be able to celebrate the several personal records that team members broke this weekend.

With most of Penn's top performers from the meet being underclassmen, the future is looking bright for the Quakers. For now, however, the team will graduate a talented senior class and wait to see if any swimmers qualify for the NCAA Nationals, which will take place from Mar. 25-28 in Indianapolis, Ind.