2019-0922-raiders-home-0625-1-ks

Kevin Stefanski in the September 22, 2019 regular season home game against the Oakland Raiders. The Vikings won 34-14. (Photo by Minnesota Vikings) 

The Cleveland Browns have hired Penn alumnus Kevin Stefanski as their next coach, according to several news sources

2004 College graduate Stefanski has coached for the Minnesota Vikings since 2006, serving in various roles before becoming the offensive coordinator this past season. He presided over an offense that ranked eighth in the NFL in total points scored and sixth in rushing yards this year. 

Stefanski beat out a talented pool of candidates for the position, including New England Patriots offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels and Buffalo Bills offensive coordinator Brian Daboll. Stefanski was rumored to be the Browns' second pick for the job last year after the team hired Freddie Kitchens, who was fired after a tumultuous 6-10 season in which the Browns failed to live up to high offseason expectations. 

Kevin Stefanski in the October 6, 2019 regular season away game against the New York Giants. The Vikings won 28-10. (Photo by Minnesota Vikings) 

The Browns are hoping that Stefanski can bring stability to an organization that has performed poorly in recent years. The team has not had a winning record since 2007 and has only one playoff appearance since 1999. Stefanski is the sixth head coach to be hired by the Browns since the Haslam family purchased the team in 2012. 

Stefanski inherits a talented offense, with star players such as Odell Beckham Jr., Jarvis Landry, and Baker Mayfield. He will attempt to take the team to new levels after a disappointing season in Cleveland. 

Before working in the NFL, Stefanski had an accomplished football career for the Quakers as a defensive back. He was the Defensive Rookie of the Year for Penn in 2000 and received All-Ivy honors twice during his time with the team. After graduating, he served as Penn's Assistant Director of Football Operations for one season before heading to the NFL. Stefanski’s father, Ed, played basketball for Penn from 1973-1976 and later served as the general manager of the NBA’s New Jersey Nets.