sprint-celebration-eddie-jenkins

Senior quarterback Eddie Jenkins kept his MVP bid alive in Penn sprint football's resounding win over Alderson Broaddus completing 14 of 21 pass attempts for 263 yards with three touchdowns and an interception.

Credit: Izzy Crawford-Eng

Penn sprint football has suffered two losses in 2019, and senior quarterback Eddie Jenkins appears to have made a habit of rebounding from defeat in a big way.

A week removed from falling, 16-7, at Navy in a slugfest that eliminated the Quakers from Collegiate Sprint Football League Championship contention, Jenkins completed 14 of 21 pass attempts for 263 yards with three touchdowns and an interception in a resounding 49-7 win against Alderson Broaddus. 

In addition to torching the opposition through the air, Jenkins was a force to be reckoned with in the running game. Averaging 8.2 yards per carry, he rushed for 106 yards on 13 carries, hitting paydirt four times in the process. He was responsible for each of the Red and Blue's seven total touchdowns on the day, a mark that equaled his season high.

Credit: Linda Ting

Jenkins' outlandish numbers have become the norm for Penn's star quarterback. After six games, and with only a Nov. 2 contest at Caldwell remaining on the schedule, Jenkins has already put together a season that has merited significant MVP discussion. As a passer, he's 68-for-102 for 1,029 yards and 10 touchdowns against seven interceptions. His 170.0 passer efficiency rating is the best in the CSFL among passers with more than six throwing attempts, and he is second only to Chestnut Hill quarterback Michael Marino in passing yards.

Arguably more dangerous as a runner than as a passer, Jenkins has 72 rushing attempts for 462 yards, as well as 15 touchdowns. Despite playing as a quarterback, the senior ranks fifth in the CSFL in rushing yards, and he leads the League in both total offense and points per game, with 1,491 and 15.3, respectively. Marino is second to Jenkins in total offense, but Jenkins out gains Marino by over 35 yards per game, on average.

Having already scored 25 touchdowns during the 2019 season, Jenkins long ago eclipsed his previous season high of 17 touchdowns, when he contributed six on the ground and 11 through the air during the 2017 season. In what will be the finale of both the Quakers' 2019 season and Jenkins' career, the senior has one more opportunity to put up monster numbers against a struggling Caldwell team that has managed just two wins on the year.