mbb-vs-harvard-aj-brodeur

Senior forward AJ Brodeur and Penn men's basketball are projected to finish second in this year's Ivy League.

Credit: Son Nguyen

The 2019-2020 Ivy League men’s basketball preseason media poll was released today, ranking the Quakers second.

The poll gives two members of each respective university’s media contingent two votes in addition to one unaffiliated national voter. 

Harvard, which topped the poll with 134 points, received 15 of 17 first-place votes. The Red and Blue received the other two, trailing the Crimson closely at 117 points. Ranking just under Penn is Yale in third with 94 points, Princeton in fourth with 88 points, and Brown in fifth with 62. Columbia, Cornell, and Dartmouth polled at the bottom of the League, with Cornell and Dartmouth tied for last with 33 points.

The Crimson put an end to Penn’s Ivy League title campaign last season, when they defeated the Red and Blue 66-58 in the semifinals of the Ivy Tournament. 

For the fourth year in a row, the top four teams in conference play during the regular season will compete in a postseason tournament to determine which school receives the League's NCAA Tournament bid. After being hosted at the Palestra for the inaugural two editions and Yale's Lee Amphitheater last season, the 2020 tournament will be hosted at Harvard’s Lavietes Pavilion from March 14-15. 

Confidence in the Quakers will soon be put to the test during their season opener at Alabama on Nov. 5. The Red and Blue will not see a League rival until the new year, however, as they welcome rival Princeton to the Palestra on Jan. 4.