mlax-adam-goldner

Junior attackman Adam Goldner played a pivotal role in helping the Quakers clinch their first Ivy League Championship in 31 years, scoring 6 goals Saturday afternoon against Harvard.

The goals just keep coming. 

Penn men’s lacrosse clinched its first regular season Ivy League title in 30 years in style, tying the school record for goals in a game in a 26-13 win over Harvard. It comes as no surprise that junior attackman Adam Goldner led the charge, scoring six goals and earning DP Sports Player of the Week honors. 

Goldner’s double hat trick marked his second consecutive game accomplishing the feat after his six-goal outing against Brown last weekend. Yet, this time the outcome was probably more impressive. 

Goldner took a while to get going, scoring his first goal of the game when the score was already 4-1 in favor of the Quakers, but he would turn it on from there, scoring six of the next nine Penn goals. As part of this goal scoring flurry, Goldner racked up a hat trick in just 10 minutes and 56 seconds. Eight minutes later, Goldner would get started on his second trio of goals, scoring his next three in an impressive four minutes and 15 seconds. 

Goldner created offense even when the ball didn’t go in the net — he finished with 12 shots, seven of which were on frame. He also won two ground balls. 

Goldner was not the only Quaker to have an impressive afternoon Saturday, as 13 different players recorded a point for the Red and Blue. Freshman midfielder Sam Handley also scored six goals on just six shots on goal, giving him 44 points for the season and the new freshman points record, besting John Ward’s 1995 mark of 42. 

Credit: Georgia Ray

This dominant scoring run has put the Goldner on the doorstep of history, as his 39 goals for the season are good for third most all-time, just five goals behind the mark of 44 set by John Shoemaker in 1987. 

With two games to go in the regular season, Goldner has plenty of time to add to his historic campaign before the Quakers head to the Ivy League Tournament.