gymnastics-kraez
Credit: Ari Stonberg

This weekend at the Palestra, Penn gymnastics took on Cornell, Brown, and Ursinus in the team's home opener. The Quakers were hoping to top their performance from last weekend, when they scored 190.000 and finished second. The Red and Blue were successful in that effort, as they obtained their first win of the season.

The Quakers scored 193.900 points, topping Cornell with 190.125 points, Brown with 190.100, and Ursinus with 183.025.

Penn thrived in each of the competitions it competed in during the meet. In the vault, senior Caroline Moore and freshman Sydney Kraez tied for third with 9.675 points, contributing to the team win. Additionally, the Red and Blue received a combined score of 47.925 on the vault.

In the uneven bars, sophomore Jordyn Mannino placed second with a score of 9.825. As a whole, the Quakers scored an impressive 48.525 in this event, helping them gain an upper hand in the meet.

On the balance beam, Penn finished well ahead of its competition. Five members of the team placed in the top-four, as Moore had a 9.800, sophomore Darcy Matsuda scored a 9.775, senior Nicole Swirbalus recorded a 9.750, and freshmen Lauren Joost and Natalie Yang both scored 9.725. The whole team shined in the competition, helping the Quakers score a total of 48.775 points.

Lastly, in the floor exercise, Kraez’s performance allowed her to finish first with 9.800 points. Overall, the Red and Blue recorded a total of 48.675 points in the event, helping them wrap up the team victory.

Next weekend, the Quakers will be back at home at the Palestra for a meet against Bridgeport, Temple, and West Virginia on Feb. 10.