gyenc7q
Photo from Casey Giltner

A new American-style beer hall called The Post opened this month in University City, aiming to draw students and local residents into its space for food, drinks, and arcade games.

The Post is located at 129 S. 30th Street, in between Chestnut and Walnut Streets in the ground floor of the Cira Centre parking garage. Named after the former historic postal building nearby, The Post has communal seating, self-operating kiosks, a centralized bar area with seats on either side, and a drinking rail stretching the entire 120-foot span of the front window. There are also two garage doors which open up the space onto the street, with space to seat an additional 60 people outside.

With its proximity to both Penn and Drexel University's campuses, Branden McRill, founder and managing partner of The Post, said he hopes college students become the bar's core customers.

“Students are definitely one target in terms of who we would love to have patron us,” McRill said, citing the restaurant’s affordable pricing as a way to attract students.

In addition to the televisions featuring live events, the space also has several arcade games.

“We have two standing full-sized shuffleboard courts, half a dozen arcade games ranging from Ms. Pac-Man to the Simpsons to virtual golf," McRill said. "We also have two basketball games and two ski-ball games.”

The Post opened on Jan. 18 after an eight-month design partnership between Brandywine Realty Trust and interior design company Parts and Labor Design NYC, said Jeremy Levitt, Principal at Parts and Labor Design. Brandywine Realty Trust has also developed FMC Tower,  Schuylkill Yards Park, and other University City projects.

Photo from Casey Giltner

“They have another set of buildings behind that which they plan to roll out over the next eight to ten years,” McRill said. “They’re very much making a large community development play in this neighborhood."

“This reflects another level of investment for us," Brandywine President Jerry Sweeney told The Inquirer when describing The Post. “It provides people another place to eat, another place to gather, meet friends after work or on the weekends."

Both McRill and Levitt said the beer hall will offer University City a laid-back venue to eat and socialize.

“The place is really meant to bring people to this area, offering not just good prices but a really good product," Levitt said. "None of it is meant to be taken too seriously, it’s really just about getting people in, having a good time, playing games, and socializing."