drone

Every drone on Penn's campus must be under 55 pounds, and must fly below 200 feet at a speed of less than 100 miles per hour.

Credit: Don McCullough

A new Pennsylvania law will penalize the use of drones for spying purposes, the Associated Press reported

Governor Tom Wolf signed a bill on Oct. 12 establishing a $300 fine on those who use drones to violate another individual’s privacy or to put others in fear of potential harm. The bill also institutes a fine of up to $25,000 and a 10-year prison sentence for those who use drones to enable the shipping of contraband to a prison inmate.

Pennsylvania House Representative Jeff Pyle said the bill was created in response to the popularity of drones and its possible use to consciously spy and maintain surveillance of other individuals. 

This is not the first time that Pennsylvania officials have taken action to control the use of drones.

In 2015, during the pope's visit to Philadelphia, the Federal Aviation Agency designated the city as a "No Drone Zone." Those who did not follow this prohibition were subject to criminal and civil charges. Then, in 2017, drones were banned from flying over Philadelphia’s Independence National Historical Park, home of the Liberty Bell. 

Penn has also taken specific measures to control the use of drones on campus and prevent potential harm and threats to its community.

Last year, the University established that drones used within campus boundaries must weigh under 55 pounds and must be registered with the Federal Aviation Administration. Its use was limited to licensed educational and recreational activities, as well as research investigations, and was prohibited from larger sports events and other gatherings.

When flown, drowns may not intervene with the operations of the University’s aircrafts, such as the hospitals of Penn Medicine. Accordingly, they must be flown at heights below 200 feet and cannot exceed a speed of 100 miles per hour.