Basketball_Palestra

The Palestra will play host to the Philadelphia 76ers for the Blue x White Scrimmage on September 25.

Basketball fans at Penn will not need to wander far to get an early glimpse at the 2018-2019 Philadelphia 76ers.

The team announced on Monday that it will return to the Palestra for the second year in a row to play its annual Blue x White Scrimmage on Tuesday, Sept. 25. This will be first opportunity fans will have to see this year's team.

Last year, the Palestra was filled to the brim with Penn students and fans from all over Philadelphia. Then-rookie No. 1 draft picks Ben Simmons and Markelle Fultz headlined the event, which sold out its free tickets within hours of being released.

The anticipation this year should be no different.

After finishing last season with a 52-30 record, their best season in nearly two decades, fans will be eager to catch an early look at a team many experts think could reach the NBA finals.

Though the Sixers return their young core of Simmons, center Joel Embiid, and power forward Dario Saric, those in attendance will also get an early look at offseason acquisitions in small forward Wilson Chandler and power forward Mike Muscala.

Credit: Zach Sheldon

Markelle Fultz (left) and Ben Simmons (right) both participated in the 76ers'  Blue x White scrimmage at The Palestra in 2017.

Point guard Landry Shamet’s status for the scrimmage is uncertain as he continues to recover from an ankle sprain suffered in the Summer League.

One of last year's standout performers returns once again in shooting guard Furkan Korkmaz, who lit up the Summer League just months prior. Hoping to break into the rotation this season, a strong scrimmage could help him get increased minutes.

Conversely, last year, shooting guard Nik Stauskas struggled mightily, which contributed to his falling out of the rotation after finishing second on the team in minutes played per game the season prior. He was eventually traded to Brooklyn along with Jahlil Okafor two months later.

The Blue x White Scrimmage plays an important role for the 76ers as they hope to break into the upper echelon of the NBA. 

Luckily for Sixers fans at Penn, they will get a sneak peak on what could be a historic season.