profilecollage

They've flooded into campus in droves, bringing boxes of clothes and parents armed with swiffers. For most of this week, close to 2,500 bright-eyed students from the Class of 2022 have been moving into what will be their homes for the next year. This year's class of admitted students hail from 104 countries, and more than 2,100 high schools, making it one of the most diverse classes yet. 

Meet some of the newest members of the Penn community here: 

Credit: Mona Lee

Name: Ryanna Nankivel

School: The College of Arts and Sciences 

Hometown: Rapid City, S.D.

What're you most excited for?: "I’m excited just in general about the school. I’m excited to learn the traditions and learn and meet more people because they’ve all been really cool so far. So hopefully I can keep that going, I mean hopefully the school is good as a school too."

What is the most interesting thing you brought to Penn?: "I made a collage out of black Post-it notes and a white pen. Two hundred black Post-it notes and I framed it so it’s 3 feet by 2 feet. I brought it so I could hang it up in my room. It’s a bunch of my favorite video games like Pokemon, Zelda, and Kingdom Hearts characters." 

Credit: Mona Lee

Name: Agustin Garcia

School: The School of Engineering and Applied Science

Hometown: Miami, Fla.

What are you most excited about?: "I’m excited about moving away from my hometown."

What’s something interesting you brought from home?: "My culture. I'm multicultural with my mom from Spain, dad from Nicaragua, and family from Europe and the Americas." 

Name: Lilia Carpenter

Hometown: "I'm from 20 minutes up 76"

What are you most excited about?: "The new gym sounds amazing and meeting people. I want to maybe get a job as a barista at one of the student-run cafes."

Are you interested in joining any clubs or excited for any classes in particular?: "Classes this semester? Elementary French! I've never taken French before, but I've been to France and loved it so there's that. I'm interested in joining a singing group but I'm not sure which one or how hard hard I'm willing to go for it."

Credit: Mona Lee

Name: Harold Benavides

Hometown: Naples, Fla.

What're you most excited about?: "I’m excited to start classes, to see how that is. I’m also excited for some of the stuff at NSO."

What is your favorite thing you brought from home?: "My favorite thing I brought from home has to be my guitar."

Credit: Mona Lee

Name: Bo Ku

Hometown: Blue Bell, Pa.

What're you most excited about?: "I’m just excited for meeting new people, meeting my professors, and just getting used to the college life." 

What is the most interesting thing you brought to Penn?: "I brought some plants and lots of vines. I brought a clothing rack, one of those pole-type racks for my room."

Name: Brenner Maull

Origin: Salisbury, Md.

What are you most excited about?: "I am most excited to meet new people."

Are you in interested in any specific classes this semester or joining any clubs?: "I think I will be trying out for club tennis."

What was your favorite thing about Penn when you were applying to schools?: "I really liked the campus with the confined city feel."

Credit: Mona Lee

Name: Bhavya Shah

School: The College of Arts and Sciences and The Wharton School

Hometown: Hanover Park, Ill.

What're you most excited for?: "I’m excited for the toga party." 

What's your favorite item that you brought to Penn?: "Probably the family picture that my mom gave me, and she made a scrapbook of a bunch of pictures." 

Credit: Mona Lee

Name: Nichanun (Nat) Puapattanakajorn

Hometown: Bangkok, Thailand

What're you most excited about?: "I’m excited to throw toast!"

What's your favorite thing you brought to Penn?: "Probably a lot of stationery." 

Credit: Mona Lee

Name: Landry Davis 

School: The School of Nursing

Hometown: Greenville, S.C.

What're you most excited about?: "I’m most excited to meet new people, see the nursing program and all the extracurricular activities."

What's your favorite item that you brought to Penn?: "I have a dreamcatcher that I’m hanging from my room."