58834_huntsmanf

File Photo

Penn is third on a list of universities that have the most billionaire alumni, according to a new ranking. 

Published earlier this May, a CNBC ranking of worldwide universities looking at the number of billionaire alumni produced by each school placed Penn behind only Harvard University and Stanford University. 

The 2018 ranking, which extracted data from the the Wealth-X Billionaire Census 2018, showed that Penn has issued 64 degrees to now-billionaires. Meanwhile, Harvard and Stanford have produced 188 and 74 billionaire alumni, respectively. 

The Wealth-X Billionaire Census 2017 also showed that, when only considering Bachelor’s degrees in the ranking, Penn is the school that has produced the greatest number of billionaires. 

Penn also tops the list in graduates with personal assets of over $2 billion.

When looking at the number of alumni with a net worth greater than $30 million, Penn is second on the list, following Harvard.

Five out of the eight Ivy League schools made the top 10 of CNBC's list. The other Ivy League schools are Columbia University, Cornell University, and Yale University. 

Other institutions present on the list include the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, University of Southern California, University of Chicago, University of California, Berkeley and University of Michigan. University of Michigan is the only school to appear on this year's top 10 and not last year's.

The ranking considered universities from around the world, but the top 10 consisted only of universities in the United States.

Notably, Harvard awarded 50 more degrees to billionaires than Penn and Stanford combined, with 188 billionaires representing their alma-mater. About 2.3% of the billionaire population are Penn alumni, while 6.8% of the billionaire population went to Harvard. 

Penn also boasted the most alumni of any school on an October 2017 Forbes list of the 400 wealthiest people in the United States. The two runner up schools were Stanford and Yale. 

A recent Crunchbase News study examined the colleges with the most graduates who are now CEOs of startups that have raised at least a million dollars in the past year. The survey found that Penn produced the fourth-most number of these CEOs.

Penn also had 26 graduates appear on Forbes’s 30 under 30 in 2017.