WomensMarch(LuluWang)7
Credit: Lulu Wang

A year after millions of people took to the streets to protest President Donald Trump's inauguration, thousands of Philadelphia residents, including Penn students, faculty, and staff gathered in Center City last weekend to protest the current state of women's rights in the United States. 

The second Philadelphia Women's March comes after a year of impassioned movements around and about women's rights, including the still-growing #MeToo campaign calling on survivors of sexual assault to share their stories.

At the march, various protestors took their slogans, stories, and appeals off the internet and onto printed signs. In case you missed it, here are some of the most compelling words from the protest: 

Credit: Lulu Wang

Participants at the march drew inspiration from the words of prolific figures, such as civil rights activist Bell Hooks, media icon Oprah Winfrey, and U.S. Senator Elizabeth Warren.

Credit: Ethan Wu

The crowd, composed of people both young and old, marched down Benjamin Franklin Parkway with homemade signs to rally in front of the Philadelphia Museum of Art. Some protestors donned pink "pussy hats" that became popular after last year's women's march in Washington, D.C. 

Credit: Evan Batov

Many participants also took the opportunity to express their views on other issues that have been running through the news cycle such as the devastating hurricane in Puerto Rico and what many saw as the lackluster rescue efforts that followed.

During the immediate aftermath of the hurricane, students at Penn started a GoFundMe to help the victims of Hurricane Maria, which received a $20,000 donation from comedian Jimmy Fallon.

The march also saw various statement made about intersectionality, which has been a key component of the discussion around the Women's March in recent months.

Credit: Ethan Wu