The Daily Pennsylvanian is a student-run nonprofit.

Please support us by disabling your ad blocker on our site.

Credit: Carson Kahoe

Around 7:30 a.m. on Wednesday Oct. 18, 2017 two burglars entered a home on the block of 41st and Pine Streets, prompting a UPenn Alert.

At approximately 7:29 a.m. Philadelphia emergency dispatchers received a 911 call reporting the burglary, according to the Division of Public Safety's Associate Director of Operations and External Affairs Stacy Lutner Ritchey. DPS' PennComm Operations Center sent the University of Pennsylvania Police Department to the location of the crime. 

Ritchey said in an email that two suspects were involved in the incident. 

The first was described as a black male in his early 20's wearing a dark hoodie, skinny jeans and a black backpack. He was around 5 feet 9 inches tall and weighed approximately 155 pounds. 

The second suspect was described as a black male in his late teens or early 20's wearing a dark hoodie, black jeans, red sneakers and a black backpack, according to Ritchey. He was roughly 5 feet 9 inches to 5 feet 10 inches tall and also weighed approximately 155 pounds. 

Both men fled west on Pine Street and north on 43rd Street, Ritchey said. 

Penn Police caught the first suspect who was fleeing on foot and charged him with burglary and other offenses according to Ritchey. Police soon discovered that he was recently released from prison after serving a sentence for burglary.  

The second suspect remains at large. 

The incident prompted a UPenn Alert at 7:57 a.m. An all-clear message, noting that the police had made an arrest, was sent at 8:25 a.m.

"A UPennAlert was issued, as one of the suspects was not apprehended and DPS deemed this to be an on-going threat to the community," Ritchey said in an email. 

Ritchey's statement comes after several students criticized DPS for failing to notify students when a man previously convicted of sexual assault exposed himself to Penn students near campus and was consequently let go. 

Officers from the Penn Police and Philadelphia SouthWest Detectives Division are trying to identify the second suspect involved in the Oct. 18 burglary.