admissions

Dean of Admissions Eric Furda leads the staff in charge of handling the thousands of applications Penn has received. | DP File Photo

This year, between 68 and 69 percent of students admitted to the Penn Class of 2020 committed to the school.

The number is between 68 and 69 percent because some students will be taking a gap year — so the number will be fluctuating for the next few weeks.

This is Penn’s highest yield rate in history — an increase of at least 2 percent from the yield rate of the previous two classes, which was 66 percent.

Only a few of Penn’s peer institutions have released their yield rates for the Class of 2020. Based on the released rates, Penn’s yield rate is lower than Harvard’s (80 percent) and MIT’s (74 percent), similar to Princeton’s (68.5 percent), and higher than Dartmouth’s (53.1 percent).

In an email, Dean of Admissions Eric J. Furda credited the effort during Quaker Days and the Multicultural Scholars Program combined with the Impact Beyond Campus initiatives as one reason for the high yield rate.

“I am so grateful to the collective efforts of the Penn community,” Furda said. “It’s hard work. And so worthwhile!”

Part of this incoming class of freshmen will be housed in the Quadrangle, but none of them will call Hill College House home. Instead, many will take up residence in the New College House, and the overflow will reside in Sansom East, which will become a college house for the 2016-2017 school year. Similar to previous years, a small number of freshmen will also be scattered throughout the smaller houses, including Kings Court English College House, Gregory College House and Stouffer College House.