worldview

A shot of Volcán Barú, a volcano and the tallest mountain in Panama, taken by a WorldView user. | Courtesy of Rishikesh Tirumala

2013 Wharton graduate Andre Borczuk is making dream vacations a reality with his new app, Worldview.

Worldview is a photo-sharing app where people can take photos of their current locations and share them with app users all over the world. People can share the photos they capture on the app's "enhanced, ultra HD camera" on social media sites like Facebook.  The feature that differentiates Woldview from other photo-sharing apps like Instagram is that when people post photos, they are entered in contests to win plane tickets to any destination of their choice.

Additionally, users can share other people's photos that they find on the app.  Each time a user shares a photo, their name is added into a pool. With each additional share, their name is entered into the pool again.  Each month, the person who posted the most shared photo, as well as another user drawn from the pool, wins a plane ticket. 

“The idea is that you share images of what you see to spread awareness, and then you get rewarded for actually creating and sharing content," Borczuk said.

Worldview is not a social media app. Rather than solely providing another way to communicate with others, Worldview aims for global transparency.

“That is the true vision — where everyone gathers around and all see the same thing, and things like 'Ahmed with the clock' will not happen," Borczuk said. "The things that you try to hide in the corners and shadows — that can’t happen anymore because we are looking for it."

Borczuk attributes much of his success to his experience at Penn.

“I can say very honestly and clearly that my Wharton education — and I didn’t realize it at the time — was an extremely valuable thing. The education itself helped me understand statistics and conceptualize consumer behavior on the softer side. It was very well-balanced.” 

Worldview has big plans for its future.  He envisions that the app users who win trips will spread Worldview's reach to the places that they travel.

"They are setting up little colonies of people taking pictures in that area. So we will be able to see Tianjin when the explosion happens. We will be able to respond to the Baltimore riots with our own eyes. We won't need the news anymore because news is just people writing opinions on what happened, but we will be able to see what’s happening right now,” Borczuk said.

Those with iOS devices can download Worldview on the App Store today. Unfortunately, Android users will have to wait for the app to be released in the coming months.