magiccarpet

Magic Carpet will be closed Friday and Monday. 

Credit: Katie Zhao

If you’re looking to grab food around campus this weekend, the food trucks may not be the best place to go.

The food trucks located outside Meyerson Hall on the corner of 34th and Walnut streets are following suit with the University and suspending operations this weekend.

“It’s gonna be too big of a hassle for us,” Magic Carpet food truck owner Dean Varvoutis Isaid.

Magic Carpet, a popular staple in the diet of Penn students, will be closed Friday and Monday. The three other food trucks in the plaza that serve a range of breakfast and lunch options will be closed Friday, but they are hoping to open on Monday.

On the other hand, restaurants such as Greek Lady and Sweetgreen are not letting Pope Francis shut them down. It looks to be the case that many of the full-time food retail locations around campus will be operating normally or on an adjusted schedule.

“We’re trying to keep everything the same, but we’re not really sure yet,” Greek Lady manager Maria Dimopoulos said, “We’re trying not to let our customers down, but we may not have as many employees since a lot are coming from North Philly.”

Sweetgreen, a corporate-run business, is not scared at all by the papal visit. The popular salad restaurant on the 3900 block of Walnut Street plans to be open all weekend with normal operating hours. Sweetgreen management shares a concern with Greek Lady management in the fact that getting employees into the store might be difficult, but they are looking at SEPTA operations to see who they can and can’t get in.