The Daily Pennsylvanian is a student-run nonprofit.

Please support us by disabling your ad blocker on our site.


Credit: Luke Chen

At 8:26 p.m. on Sunday, Philadelphia Police and Fire Department and Penn Police responded to a fire at the Chestnut Hall Apartments on 39th and Sansom streets, according to the Division of Public Safety.

The building was evacuated while the fire — which appeared to have been caused by cooking — was contained.

The fire was extinguished and residents were allowed re-entry at approximately 9:45 p.m.

No injuries were reported.

Rising College sophomore Mallory Kirby, a resident of Hamilton Court Apartments across the street from the Chestnut Hall complex, was walking home at the time of the fire and said that the scene seemed surprisingly calm.

“None of the fire was visible from the street — at least from my perspective,” Kirby said. “They evacuated the whole building and there was a large police and fire department presence, but no one was panicking on the street.” n

Comments powered by Disqus

Please note All comments are eligible for publication in The Daily Pennsylvanian.