To the Editor:

Friday’s editorial in The Daily Pennsylvanian on the announcement of the Task Force on Student Psychological Health and Welfare expressed pride in the University for demonstrating its commitment while noting concern that the Task Force does not include a student member.

Student input is essential to the work of the Task Force, and we anticipate that it will establish two working groups to carry out its charge, both of which will include students, faculty and staff. One of the working groups will examine practices, programs and policies concerning outreach and education, and the other will focus on practices, programs and policies related to intervention and treatment. We are confident that both groups will effectively engage with students’ ideas, first-hand experiences and perspectives.

In addition, as we announced, the Task Force will engage broadly across campus and beyond in executing its charge, for example, by calling on faculty experts, student leaders, administrators and staff.

Finally, we should note that, while we have asked the Task Force to conclude its work by early 2015, we will not hesitate to implement any new or improved practices or policies as soon as they are identified, should they be needed to ensure the psychological health and welfare of Penn students.

Sincerely,

Amy Gutmann, President

Vincent Price, Provost