Brush up on your disco and practice your peace signs – Spring Fling is going to be a groovy blast from the past.

This year’s Spring Fling is throwing it back to the ’60s and ’70s with the theme “Peace Love and Fling,” the Social Planning and Events Committee announced on Thursday. It will be held on April 11 and 12.

While this theme has been considered in past years, the Spring Fling committee is excited to finally carry it out.

Although Fling originated in the 1970s, the decision was not meant to reference this history. Instead, the committee expressed that the theme was chosen because of the culture of the era as a whole.

“The laid-back atmosphere and strong emphasis on music fits perfectly with Fling’s role on campus,” College sophomore Derek Standlee , who is co-director of the Spring Fling committee of SPEC, said.

However, the weeks leading up to Fling will be nothing but laid back. The Spring Fling committee will be holding series of smaller events called “Fling Fridays” over the four weeks preceding the main event. Fling Fridays will give students the opportunity to channel their inner hippie by tie-dyeing clothing and making flower crowns, and attendees will be encouraged to dress in ’70s garb.

“Is it going to be like Woodstock at Penn? That would be fun!” College freshman Ariel Smith said.

The Spring Fling committee will be accepting submissions to the annual logo design contest until Feb. 14. Entries should reflect the retro theme, and winners will receive two floor passes to the concert.

Penn performance groups are invited to join in on the spotlight and perform in the Quad during one of the days of Fling. Performance submissions are due by Feb. 2.

Fling themes of past years have included “40 Years of Fling,” “Fling Never Tasted So Sweet,” and, back in 2000, “Fling Me Baby One More Time.”