1_28_14capsmaponline
Credit: Analyn Delos Santos

Counseling and Psychological Services may be moving north to Market Street or east to 34th Street.

CAPS will have to move from its location in the West Philadelphia Trust Building at the corner of 36th and Walnut streets before fall 2015, when the construction work for the Ronald O. Perelman Center for Political Science and Economics is set to begin.

The Student Health Service building, the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania, a building at 37th and Market streets and an unspecified location on Drexel University’s campus have all been discussed as potential future locations, said sources who have knowledge of the selection process.

However, the University hasn’t yet settled on a building, CAPS Director Bill Alexander said.

The possibility of moving to Student Health Services at 3535 Market St. would provide CAPS with additional space, Alexander added.

“It could also destigmatize mental health because you can just say you’re going to SHS and not have to say why,” said Undergraduate Assembly member and College sophomore Julie Bittar, one of the UA leaders on mental health issues. “The only downfall is it’s far.”

Michael Accardo, CAPS Student Advisory Board co-chair and College senior, argued against moving CAPS to Drexel’s campus during Sunday’s Undergraduate Assembly meeting. “They shouldn’t be doing that,” he said.

Executive Vice President Craig Carnaroli and Ed Datz of Penn’s Facilities and Real Estate Services both declined to discuss specifics of the move.